William Randolph Hearst Scholarship
The Mayborn School of Journalism is pleased to announce a new $2,500 William Randolph Hearst Scholarship for first-generation college students who are accepted into the Emerald Eagle Scholars program. The scholarship is funded by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation.
Recipients who continue to meet the eligibility and award criteria may be eligible for the scholarship for up to three years.
- Must be a first-generation college student*
- Must currently be in the Emerald Eagle Scholars Program
- Must have taken and passed the GSP test
- Must currently be a journalism major
- Must have a family household income not exceeding $40,000, as determined by the FAFSA
- Must have a minimum 2.5 UNT GPA at the time of application
- Will be enrolled full-time (15 hours or more) in the fall 2016 semester
*First-generation is defined as a student whose parents have not completed a four-year college degree.
Students meeting the eligibility requirements must apply using the Journalism general scholarship application and submit a typed essay between 250 and 500 words about his or her personal motivation and professional goals, including plans to work in the field of journalism. The essay will be uploaded into the online application.
- Each scholarship recipient will maintain a minimum grade point of at least 2.5 overall.
- Recipients must enroll in at least 15 hours each long semester and maintain major status in journalism.
- Recipients will be required to be involved in a student media or a student organization within the Mayborn School.
- Recipients will also be required to complete UNT freshman orientation (if applicable) and a financial session.
- Recipients will meet with the Dean of the School of Journalism at least once in the academic year.