Dave T. Lane - Belo Corp Scholars Program
David T. Lane/Belo Corp. Scholars Program
This prestigious scholarship was established by Belo Corp. a Dallas-based media company which owned 20 television stations (including WFAA-TV/Channel 8) and 25 websites, until it was purchased by Gannett Co. in 2013.
These scholarships are named in honor of the late Dave Lane who was the general manager of WFAA-TV/Channel 8. The scholarships are funded by an endowment that resides at the University of North Texas Foundation, which supports deserving students in the Mayborn School of Journalism who plan to work in the field of journalism.
Up to three full scholarships of $4,000 each, or smaller partial scholarships may be awarded annually.
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student with major status in Print/Digital, Broadcast/Digital or Photo Journalism in the Mayborn School of Journalism, University of North Texas
- Meet entrance and academic performance standards of the Mayborn School of Journalism and the University of North Texas
- Completed at least 60 hours of coursework toward a degree at the time of application
- Minimum UNT GPA of 3.0
- US citizen
APPLICATION: Must include:
- General journalism scholarship application
- Typed letter of application
- Typed essay about your personal motivation and professional goals, including your plans to work in the field of journalism
- Student portfolio showing your work
Applications are accepted in the spring semester. Scholarships are available starting in fall.