Jack B. Tinsley/Fort Worth Star-Telegram Scholarship
Tinsley was an executive editor for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He worked at the newspaper for more than 40 years. All recipients of the Jack B. Tinsley/Fort Worh Star-Telegram Scholarship will be designated as Tinsley Scholars while receiving the scholarship. Renewal status is determined by reapplication and student progress on a yearly basis and may be renewed through 4 years if awarded as a freshman or 2 years if awarded as a new transfer student.
- Applicants must be incoming freshmen or community college transfer students from either the defined 42-county geographic region of East Texas (see below), or from Tarrant County. Applicants must meet minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the School of Journalism.
- Appliants must maintain full-time enrollment at UNT, unless they have fewer than twice the number of semester hours required to be full-time remaining in their individual degree program.
- Applicants must submit a written statement of financial need.
- Applicants must submit a brief letter from a teacher attesting to the applicant’s need.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled for a minimum of 12 semester hours, have at least a 2.5 GPA and must be a news editorial major with the intent toward a career in consumer newspapers.
- Applicants who come from the Pineywoods area will be given preference. Those applicants would be defined as coming from the counties below.
42 COUNTIES DEFINED AS THE EAST TEXAS REGION
Click the button below to apply