Contact the GSP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (940) 565-2205, for questions about the GSP or assistance with registration.
Click Here to take the GSP Practice Test.
Click Here to view the GSP Frequently Asked Questions.
Before the exam
Complete these steps:
- Complete the registration form below and submit your one-time $50 online payment.
- You will receive an email from the GSP Coordinator within one business day (email@example.com).
- Use the *schedule below to set up at least one mandatory GSP tutoring workshop up with the GSP Coordinator.
TUTORING WORKSHOPS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY and will only be scheduled once payment is received.
- Print off the practice test (click here) and bring to your workshop.
- Schedule your exam time with the GSP Coordinator. **(See cancellation policy below)
*Tutoring Workhops are offered as follows:
Mondays | 12 pm – 2 pm | GAB 337
Tuesdays | 6 pm – 8 pm | GAB 114
Wednesdays | 6 pm – 8 pm | GAB 114
Thursdays | 12 pm – 2 pm | GAB 204
On exam day
- Come to the Sage Testing Center in SAGE C330 at least 10 minutes before your appointed time to check in.
- Show your UNT photo ID to the proctor.
- Follow the Testing Center rules and leave all mobile devices and personal items in the designated area.
- The exam will take approximately one hour to complete.
- Receive scores by email within 2 business days. Additional instructions will be included if you have scored below an 18 on any section.
- When you pass all four sections, your record will be updated and you will be unblocked from journalism classes that require the GSP.
Students may not take more than one exam in the same day. Those on their second or third attempts must make an appointment at least one day in advance for another time.
Special accommodation to take the GSP exam:
Contact the Office of Disability Accommodation at:
Telephone | (940) 565-4323
Fax | (940) 369-7969
TTYL | (940) 369-8652
Website | http://www.unt.edu/oda
Please allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation.
Students pay a one-time fee of $50 through electronic payment, which covers all three attempts, and they must pay when they register online.
All fees are non-refundable.
- If you cannot take the exam at your scheduled time, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (940) 565-2205 or come to GAB 102 during GSP office hours. You must cancel by 12 p.m. on the Thursday before your scheduled time.
- Any student who arrives after the proctor begins giving instructions cannot take the exam that session and will need to reschedule after paying a $10 no-show fee.
- Contact GSP Services at email@example.com to schedule exam and tutoring workshop times. The GSP exam will not be given during the first full week of classes, UNT holidays and any time classes are not in session. Workshops and exams are administered by appointment only.
- Any student suspected of cheating will be reported to the Associate Dean of the Mayborn School of Journalism.
- Exam scores will be emailed to the student within 2 business days. Once all 4 sections have been passed, the GSP Coordinator will update the student record and will unblock journalism classes requiring the GSP.
- To be considered passing, 18 of the 25 questions on each section must be correct. You may take the GSP up to 3 times, and you will only need to retake sections you did not pass.
- You must email the GSP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to retake a failed section. You may also schedule more tutoring workshops for additional help.
- Exams will be offered and graded through Blackboard in the Sage Testing Center. Tutoring workshops will be offered in the GAB building when available.
- If you do not pass on the first attempt, you may schedule as many tutoring sessions as you need. There is no appeals process, so you must pass the GSP by the third time, or you will not be allowed to major/minor in journalism or journalism-affiliated programs.
- If you have not passed after 3 attempts the old GSP exam, administored prior to Sept. 3, 2013, you ARE eligible to take the new GSP exam. You must register and pay the new fee and you will have 3 attempts to pass all sections of the new GSP exam.
- If you have already paid for the GSP exam which was administered prior to Sept. 3, 2013, but have not taken it 3 times, you will have 3 attempts to pass all sections of the new GSP exam without needing to repay. You will not be required to re-take any sections that you have already passed.
Fill in the form below and click submit to begin registration for the GSP.
***The registration system may not support certain mobile devices and browsers. If you have errors, please register from a standard desktop/laptop computer.