GSP@unt.edu • (940)-565-2205 • GAB 102
Click Here to take the GSP Practice Test.
Click Here to view the GSP Frequently Asked Questions.
Before the exam
- Read all of the information on the page, including our FAQ.
- To register and pay for the test, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page. After you press submit, please follow the indicated instructions to submit your payment. There is a one-time $50 registration fee. This pays for all services through the GSP, including workshops and personal tutoring sessions.
- Schedule your workshop and test sessions ahead of time. A workshop or test session cannot be attended until you receive email confirmation from GSP Services beforehand. (Up to 2 business days)
- Friday sessions must be scheduled before 12pm on the Thursday before.
- You will receive an email confirming your payment within two (2) business days. This email will be sent to the address you gave us during the registration process. If you do not, please check your spam folder first and then contact us through email at GSP@unt.edu if you did not receive it. Remember to check your spam or junk folder for the email. We will send the information to the email address you give us.
- We have had issues with students submitting payment on laptops and phones. If you are having trouble paying, try switching browsers or devices.
- In the confirmation email, a schedule for the semester will be included. Please follow the instructions in the email and reply with the dates and times for both the mandatory workshop and test session you would like to attend.
- Workshops and exams will not be given during finals week or UNT holidays. The exam may be given on a limited basis when classes are not in session.
- You are required to come to one (1) workshop, but you are welcome to attend as many as you need.
- We offer personal tutoring sessions, but these are not able to replace the mandatory workshop. One-on-one tutoring sessions are only available by appointment.
- If you must cancel or reschedule your test time, you must do so by the day before at 12 PM to avoid a $10 no-show fee.
- If you need any special accommodation for the test, contact the Office of Disability Accommodation. Please allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation, and make sure to maintain communication with both the ODA and the GSP office.
Contact the Office of Disability AccommodationPhone
: Sage Hall 167Website
On exam day
- Please arrive at the Testing Center 10 minutes before your scheduled test time. The Testing Center is in Sage C330, not Sage 330.
- If you arrive late or do not show up at all, you will be charged a $10 no-show fee.
- Bring your UNT photo ID with you to check in with the test proctor.
- Leave all electronic devices, backpacks, purses, hats, food, drinks, etc. in a cubby in the front of the Testing Center. You cannot bring anything into the computer lab with you.
- Listen to the proctor as she gives instructions. The test can only be opened if you follow the exact directions given to you by the proctor.
- You are given two hours to take the test. You are free to leave after you finish, but please do not plan anything else during that block of time. It is rare, but the test can be delayed because of issues out of our control, and it is your responsibility to make sure you can take the entire test.
- DO NOT CHEAT OR ATTEMPT TO CHEAT! Cheating will result in your being reported to the Director of the Mayborn School of Journalism.
After the exam
- Test scores will be emailed to you within two (2) business days. They will be sent to the email address that you gave us during the registration process.
- Please email GSP@unt.edu if you have not received your scores within two (2) business days after you take your test.
- To pass the GSP, you must have a minimum score of 18 in all four sections by your third attempt.
- You only need to retake the sections that you have not passed.
- You must email the GSP team at GSP@unt.edu to schedule your next test attempt.
- When you have been notified that you have passed all four sections of the GSP, your record will be updated. This will allow you to register for the relevant courses.
- If you fail any portion of the exam, you can attend another workshop, request a time for a one-on-one tutoring session, or simply email us and ask for study tips or more resources to look over. Please let us know what we can do to help you succeed!
If you took the GSP prior to September 3, 2013
- If you made 3 attempts, but did not pass the old GSP exam administered prior to September 3, 2013, you ARE eligible to take the new GSP exam. You must register and pay the new fee, and you will have 3 attempts to pass all sections of the new GSP exam.
- If you paid for the GSP exam that was administered prior to September 3, 2013, but have taken it less than 3 times, you will have 3 attempts to pass all sections of the new GSP exam without needing to repay. You will not be required to re-take any sections that you have already passed.
For best results, use a laptop or desktop computer. You will experience issues with the payment program attempting to register and pay from a mobile device or tablet. This can delay your registration.