Office Location: GAB 202
Roy Busby is the interim dean and senior professor in the Mayborn School of Journalism. He teaches the undergraduate course in Direct and Interactive Communication and graduate courses in Integrated Communications, Direct and Interactive Communications and Readings.
- Doctor of Business Administration, University of Oklahoma
- Master of Business Administration in marketing, University of North Texas
- Bachelor of Arts in journalism, University of North Texas
He has served as an Internet and interactive/integrated communication/marketing/advertising/public relations consultant for several profit and nonprofit organizations. His professional background includes both corporate and nonprofit experience.
Busby’s professional work has appeared in many of the nation’s leading business and mass media publications.
He has spoken to numerous professional groups in the U.S. and abroad, and many of his former students hold key jobs in the U.S. and abroad. He gets kidded a lot about it, but he really can’t go anywhere without running into one of his former students. It doesn’t matter whether it’s at a Dairy Queen in south Texas, a gala in Dallas, at the airport in Chicago, at a meeting in New York or Boston or while jogging.
He is continually sought by national and international organizations for advice through consulting and speaking assignments, and as an expert source by the news media. His areas of expertise include branding, strategic planning, direct and interactive and integrated communications. Both of his alma maters have called on him for expert help in one or more of these areas.
For a decade, he taught the PRSA national accreditation seminar to professionals from throughout the nation and was a judge for their oral examinations.
Honors and Awards:
- First faculty member at a Texas university to earn Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) from Public Relations Society of America
- Alumni mentor by University of Oklahoma to its Price College of Business Administration students
- Several teaching awards, including the university’s top teaching honor — the President’s Council Teaching Excellence Award
- C.E. Shuford Hall of Honor
- UNT Board of Regents, Regents Professor
- The Starr-Busby PRSSA student chapter at UNT was co-named in his honor.
- Nationally recognized and adopted his research on the roles Asians, American Indians, African-Americans, Hispanics and women play as current role models in all areas of professional communications
- Nationally recognized for direct and interactive communications, one of 21 professors nationally chosen to attend the Direct Marketing Education Foundation’s seminar for Authors and Researchers in New York
- One of 30 Professors nationally chosen to attend the Direct Marketing Institute for Professors on a fellowship from the Hedberg Foundation and the Direct Marketing Educational Foundation in New York
- One of 50 Professors nationally chosen to attend the Robert B. Clarke Educator’s Conference as part of the Direct Marketing Association’s international conference in Dallas