Sheri Broyles, Ph.D.
Sheri Broyles, a professor for the Mayborn School of Journalism, has taught a variety of advertising classes since coming to UNT in 1996 – from the lower-level Principles of Strategic Communications to the capstone Advertising Campaigns. She served for four years as Interim Chair of the Department of Strategic Communications where she established SWOOP, the student-managed advertising and public relations agency, and the ad team, which competes in the American Advertising Federation's National Student Advertising Competition.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Southern Methodist University
- Master of Arts in Journalism, University of Missouri
- Bachelor of Music, University of Missouri
Broyles’ professional background includes work as a copywriter for an advertising agency. She also combined her music and journalism degrees by crafting advertising, public relations and marketing for a symphony orchestra.
Broyles has served as a member of the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) and serves on accreditation site teams. She also is active in the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) with 3,500 members from around the world. For AEJMC, Broyles has chaired the Standing Committee on Teaching and has served on the Board of Directors.
She is passionate about teaching as evidenced by her involvement for more than a decade with the annual Teaching Workshop for AEJMC's Advertising Division — first as an attendee, then as a presenter, and now as one of the organizers and moderators of the annual workshop. In addition, she is a member of the Advertising Division where she has served on the executive committee and as head of the division.
Broyles' research interests include a variety of aspects of creativity including the creative personality, creative portfolios and the study of women within creative departments at advertising agencies. She also has written articles debunking subliminal advertising.
Her research has been published in, among other places, the International Journal of Advertising, the Journal of Advertising Research, Advertising & Society Review, Journal of Consumer Affairs, and the Journal of Consumer Marketing, Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, and the Journal of Advertising Education.
Honors and Awards:
- Senior Scholar Grant from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Outstanding Service Award/Chair of the Standing Committee on Teaching, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Outstanding Service Award/Advertising Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- University Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Scripps Howard Teacher of the Year Award