This scholarship was established to honor the life of Morgan Michael, a Mayborn School of Journalism graduate who was killed by a drunk driver.
Description, Requirements, and Other Information:
- Applicants must meet minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the Mayborn School of Journalism.
- Applicants must maintain full-time enrollment at UNT, unless they have fewer than twice the number of semester hours required to be full-time remaining in their degree program.
- Applicants must be enrolled as full-time students in the Mayborn School of Journalism.
- Applicants must have and maintain a 3.5 or higher GPA.
- Applicants must submit an essay of a minimum 600 words on the impact and consequences of drunk driving on the victims and their families. This essay is to consider the need for stronger penalties and punishments across the nation and it will include a statistical analysis between judicial judgements on intoxication manslaughter versus murder convictions.
- Applicants must demonstrate ineligibility for need-based financial assistance as determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (or its successor), which includes an application process that contains written release from the student to share FAFSA information between University departments and donors coordinating related award processes.
- Preferences will be given to those applicants who work part-time (at least 15 hours a week) or who have documented service work with a faith-based community/organization and/or community service project.