A scholarship for high potential undergraduate seniors who have shown a commitment to diversity. Students who are already receiving NBCU scholarship funding in spring 2023 are not eligible for this scholarship.
Funds for tuition assistance for high potential seniors who have shown a commitment to diversity. Mayborn faculty will screen potential students who will be recommended to NBC senior leadership who will help mentor these students, who will be designated as NBC News Fellows.
Fellows will also be invited to apply and be offered internships at NBC News, MSNBC or CNBC.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant for the Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Meet the minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the University of North Texas (or its successor) in effect at the time of any award;
- Maintain full-time enrollment as established by the University, unless the student is nearing completion of their degree program and does not need full-time enrollment;
- Enroll as a full-time student in journalism (or their successors) at the University;
- Be classified academically as a senior with a grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent);
- Submit a short essay of no more than 400 words answering the question: Why is it important to have diversity in news coverage today?
- Demonstrate eligibility for need-based financial assistance as determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (or its successor), which includes an application process that contains written release from the student to share FAFSA information between University departments and donors coordinating related award processes;
- Students are only eligible to receive the award once.