Ad/PR agency fosters professional experience
SWOOP, the student-managed advertising and public relations agency, is getting attention in a big way at the Mayborn School of Journalism. SWOOP works on real projects for real clients with real results.
SWOOP is the vision of Dr. Sheri Broyles, Interim Chair of the Department of Strategic Communications in the J-School. Broyles, a former copywriter, started the agency in 2011 with the help of Senior Lecturer Bill Ford, who ran his own agency for 15 years in Dallas. Clients began lining up when word of the agency got out, starting with the UNT Admissions Office. SWOOP wrote, designed and produced the fall and spring Preview books for prospective students.
Clients, both on- and off-campus, can expect the same services as they would find in a professional agency. This hands-on training allows SWOOP alumni to step into agencies and be productive from Day One. SWOOP gives students the chance to interact with clients, build and execute campaigns as well as work together in a team environment. The agency offers brand consulting, copywriting, graphic design, social media, advertising campaigns and public relations services that cater to a client’s specific needs.
SWOOPers, as they call themselves, meet with clients, set project deadlines and solve client problems in a fast-paced environment – just as they will do as professionals after graduation. They have the opportunity to learn various aspects of the industry while creating impressive results for their clients.
Students can volunteer at SWOOP or intern for practicum credit. Everyone involved leaves SWOOP with a solid grasp of the industry – and an impressive line on his or her résumé.
Contact: Bill Ford firstname.lastname@example.org
SWOOP Staff selected for Fall 2017
- Krystal Solomon, President & Account Executive
- Nathan Cooper, Vice President & Account Planner
- Omolade Bangudu, Account Planner
- Frances De Jesus, Account Planner
- Maria Diaz, Art Direction
- Lauren Gordon, Public Relations
- Mazhar Jilani, Art Direction
- Jonathan Joyner, Account Executive & Web Production & Web/ Digital
- Colter Keathley, Copywriting
- Tyler Lucius, Public Relations
- Gabby McGarry, Social Media
- Leah McGraw, Account Executive
- Camey Metcalf, Account Executive
- Nickolas Payne, Account Executive
- Amber Perez, Account Planner
- Ryan Shivers, Art Direction
- Chase Silvers, Social Media & Copywriting & Web/ Digital/& Digital Media
- Haley Stubbs, Account Executive
- Farzan Surani, Social Media
- Christina Thompson, Copywriting
- Hannah Vilches, Copywriting