Roy Busby is a Regents professor in the Mayborn School of Journalism. He teaches the
undergraduate course in Direct and Interactive Communication and graduate courses
in Integrated Communications, Direct and Interactive Communications and Readings.
Busby also teaches in UNT's Honors College. He taught the first journalism courses to be offered at the UNT Dallas Campus and the Universities Center at Dallas in downtown Dallas.
- Doctor of Business Administration, University of Oklahoma
- Master of Business Administration in marketing, University of North Texas
- Bachelor of Arts in journalism, University of North Texas
He has served as an Internet and interactive/integrated communication/marketing/advertising/public
relations consultant for several profit and nonprofit organizations. His professional
background includes both corporate and nonprofit experience.
Busby's professional work has appeared in many of the nation's leading business and
mass media publications.
He has spoken to numerous professional groups in the U.S. and abroad, and many of
his former students hold key jobs in the U.S. and abroad. He gets kidded a lot about
it, but he really can't go anywhere without running into one of his former students.
It doesn't matter whether it's at a Dairy Queen in south Texas, a gala in Dallas,
at the airport in Chicago, at a meeting in New York or Boston or while jogging.
He is continually sought by national and international organizations for advice through
consulting and speaking assignments, and as an expert source by the news media. His
areas of expertise include branding, strategic planning, direct and interactive and
integrated communications. Both of his alma maters have called on him for expert help
in one or more of these areas.
For a decade, he taught the PRSA national accreditation seminar to professionals from
throughout the nation and was a judge for their oral examinations.
Honors and Awards:
- First faculty member at a Texas university to earn Accreditation in Public Relations
(APR) from Public Relations Society of America
- Alumni mentor by University of Oklahoma to its Price College of Business Administration
- Several teaching awards, including the university's top teaching honor -- the President's
Council Teaching Excellence Award
- C.E. Shuford Hall of Honor
- UNT Board of Regents, Regents Professor
- The Starr-Busby PRSSA student chapter at UNT was co-named in his honor.
- Nationally recognized and adopted his research on the roles Asians, American Indians,
African-Americans, Hispanics and women play as current role models in all areas of
- Nationally recognized for direct and interactive communications, one of 21 professors
nationally chosen to attend the Direct Marketing Education Foundation's seminar for
Authors and Researchers in New York
- One of 30 Professors nationally chosen to attend the Direct Marketing Institute for
Professors on a fellowship from the Hedberg Foundation and the Direct Marketing Educational
Foundation in New York
- One of 50 Professors nationally chosen to attend the Robert B. Clarke Educator's Conference
as part of the Direct Marketing Association's international conference in Dallas